[Movie Review] Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

It's time to review!!

Ok, now I will do a review of the latest movie from my most favorite actor, Tom Cruise! Edge of Tomorrow!

The first time I saw the trailer was when I watched 300: Rise of An Empire. When I see the trailer, I talked to myself, 'I must watch this!!'. Well, the last time I saw Tom Cruise was when I watched Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol. So, I was really excited when my friend Iqna told me that it has been aired on the week before the last week of my research. I prepare my lab works on 7 p.m. and asked my junior 'Please turn off the reactor on 10'. Then I go to movie with Iqna hahaha. So unresponsible :p

Ok now back to the review. Let's see the poster first.
Live. Die. Repeat. 
I don't even have the clue what is this about. So I came to the theater without any idea what will be happened in the movie.
So, actually it's an adaptation of Light Novel 'All You Need is Die' by Hiroshi Sakurazaka that also has been adapted to manga with same title.



Plot and Characters Development
I was taken aback with the plot of time-looping. It's rare to see this theme on hollywood films. But, you will find it not strange if you are a fans of anime or manga. So, when I knew this is an adaptation, I knew where this is coming from. When Cage (Tom Cruise) back to his military post after he was killed the first time, I think that this is kind of time-travelling. But, when Cage back to the same time and place again with exact condition (except if he interfered with it) after he died (again), well so it is a time loop.
I like how they make Cage as a 'fool' and 'undependable' military officer that is forced to have training and fight the aliens at first. And after God-knows-how-many-times he died and live again, he becomes strong and skillful soldier on the battlefield. Of course with the help of Rita Vrataski (Emily Blunt)
Ok, If you have read the manga or light novel, I must say that I was quite shocked with the live adaptation hahaha. Our cute little Rita becomes sooo sexy and full with abs. Well, she has abs in the manga, but ... these hollywood abs are just, I don't know how to put it. And she looks sooo much mature and dependable, much more contrary with Cage at the first appearance. And yeah, she is a strong woman without many romances in her head, very much to my liking.

Cinematography
On the part of Cage and Rita journey to search for the Omega, I like how they make it fast but still can be followed. How Cage has his training with Rita and always ends up in injuries so Rita will 'kill' him and make all-these-hell-things start from the square one again.

Graphics and Other Noticeable Things
GREAT! I really love the battlefield! Their costumes! Oh my God, so detail and just like how they describe it in manga. You should see Rita's red battle suit.

Critics
The only thing annoyed me a little is the ending. Well, it is nothing special coming from how they make Cage and Rita's journey is so well developed with all the strategies they use to make sure they go as far as possible in each time Cage 'die'.

Closing
So, if you search for something about science-fiction, mechas, and action, you will be much likely really into this movie. Not to say if you are a fan of Tom Cruise like me :)





Komentar

Postingan Populer