[Movie Review] Maleficent (2014)

I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream I know you, the gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam Yet I know it’s true that visions are seldom all they seem But if I know you, I know what you’ll do You’ll love me at once, the way you did once upon a dream But if I know you, I know what you do You love me at once The way you did once upon a dream
-Once upon a dream-


Another review!!
Coming from one of the most evil Disney's villains
MALEFICENT

Ok, so this is another way to tell a fairytale to your children
That evil is not always evil
And fairytale sometimes doesn't look like it must be

If you ever saw the 'Sleeping Beauty' in your childhood,
where we have this innocent beautiful princess that somehow 'foolish' enough to prick her finger to a wheeling-spin-needle, be ready to have your childhood dream crushed *smirk.
 This time we will have a feminist (forget what I said), powerful, but brokenhearted witch (no, Maleficent is actually a fairy). You will find that not every fairytale is true indeed, hahaha.

I'll tell you. This movie is work only to sarcastic people (like me)



Plot and Character Development
If I must say it frankly, this IS 'JOLIE'S FILM'. Well, what did you expect with a character that both become protagonist yet antagonist at the same time, has this kind of charisma and grace no characters in this film could match? So, I said this IS HER FILM.
I kinda like the Aurora. She is soooo beautifully innocent. Her smile is so calming. I love how Elle Fanning portray this 'new' Aurora. If you saw the Disney animation, Aurora is quite a calm character. But, here we have 'curious little beasty' that likes to play with anything she could play with. Oh! And let's not forget Jolie's daughter that play as little Aurora. She is so adorable when she asked Maleficent to pick her up.

Ok, and then about the plot. You will find a similar story to the animation version. A witch (well, a fairy) come to curse the newborn-baby-princess, the princess is taken care by three careless fairies until her sixteenth birthday, then she will prick her finger then sleep forever after till a prince gives her a 'true love' kiss.

I will not spoil the fun here, because the plot is for me, the main interest in this movie. But, if you like 'unusual' ending, I bet you'll like this movie.

Costumes and Graphics
Two thumbs up! Really love Maleficent black costumes and Aurora blue dress. Oh, but this movie doesn't have the silly scene where the fairies change Aurora's dress from blue-to-red-to-blue-to-red. So, we'll stick with blue. All of the CG to make Maleficent's home-place is soooo stunning and beautiful.


Overall Comments
I love this movie! Well, actually Jolie outshine most part of this movie. But, I can still see it as a good movie coming from a fairytale that we have all already known.

Komentar

Postingan Populer